The standard diet in North America has become very unhealthy, loaded with fat and cholesterol in addition to harmful chemicals. Fast food restaurants constantly bombard consumers with advertisements promoting unhealthy food choices. Coupled with busy work schedules that leave little time for exercise, it’s no wonder so many people struggle with obesity and other health problems. Fortunately, there is a fairly simple solution that not only improves our health but also benefits the environment and the animals: a plant-based diet.
Still not convinced?! Check out this list of 57 other ways that choosing a plant-based diet benefits your health.
1. Davis, B. and Melina, V. (2000). Becoming vegan (p. 208). ↑
2. Norris, J. (2003, March). Making Sense of Nutritional Research. ↑
3. Appleby PN, Davey GK, Key TJ. Hypertension and blood pressure among meat eaters, fish eaters, vegetarians and vegans in EPIC-Oxford. Public Health Nutr 2002 Oct;5(5):645-54. ↑
4. American Dietetic Association. (2003). Position paper on vegetarian diets. J Am Diet Assoc. 103:748-765. ↑
5. Key TJ, Fraser GE, et al. (1999, Sep.). Mortality in vegetarians and nonvegetarians: detailed findings from a collaborative analysis of 5 prospective studies. Am J Clin Nutr, 70:516S-524S. ↑